Over time, blockages and contaminants can build up in your vehicle's radiator system and prevent mechanical parts from working at an optimal temperature. This can put your vehicle at risk of developing malfunctions in many different mechanical parts.
Fortunately, you can prevent such malfunctions by having a radiator flush done on your vehicle regularly. This will clean out your radiator system and keep coolant circulating efficiently.
The following are seven benefits of having a radiator flush that should convince you of the importance of this routine automobile maintenance practice:
- Removing contaminants- Many different types of contaminants can wreak havoc on your radiator. Rust, scale deposit, and foam are just a few of the possible contaminants that can detract from the proper circulation of coolant in your radiator system.
- Providing lubrication- When contaminants build up in a vehicle's radiator system, the water pump has to work harder. Flushing the radiator system lubricates the vehicle's water pump and allows this important piece of equipment to last longer and operate more efficiently.
- Preventing buildup- Not only will a radiator flush clean out contaminants that are currently in the system, but it will also prevent contaminants from accumulating in the future. That's because additives put into a vehicle's anti-freeze prevent foaming and corrosion in the system.
- Improving efficiency- If you're looking to increase gas mileage and improve your vehicle's performance, having a radiator flush is a great idea. Keeping an engine running at an optimal temperature is an important part of ensuring that fuel use is as efficient as possible.
- Keeping your warranty valid- Drivers whose vehicles are under warranty may need to keep up on certain maintenance tasks for their warranty to remain valid. Having a radiator flush performed periodically is sometimes a requirement for maintaining a warranty. Typically, radiator flushes are recommended every two years or every 40,000 to 60,000 miles.
- Increasing longevity of parts- You'll save money in the long run by having a radiator flush performed regularly. The longevity of several important mechanical parts of a vehicle is extended by keeping the radiator system free from contaminants and debris. These parts include the engine, radiator, heater core, head gaskets, and water pump.
- Preventing breakdowns year round- A radiator flush will make your car less likely to break down both in cold weather and in hot weather. In the wintertime, a clean radiator system will be less likely to freeze up. Likewise, in the summertime, boil-overs can be prevented by regular radiator flushes.
To schedule periodic radiator flushes for your vehicle, contact an auto mechanic who performs this service.